FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Save the Date: Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day Friday 4 October 2019
Celebrating its 21st year, Walk to Work Day is being held on Friday 4 October 2019. The annual event, in support of Diabetes Australia, encourages employees and employers to build regular walking into their daily routines.
With one Australian diagnosed with type 2 diabetes every eight minutes there has never been a better time to get walking and start on the path to a healthier workplace and a healthier you.
Walking meetings, walking to and from work, taking a walk at lunchtime, and using the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator are just some of the ways you can start.
Please save Friday 4 October in your diary.
It's easy to get involved:
· If you can't walk all the way, use public transport and get off the bus, train, tram or ferry a few stops earlier and walk the rest of the way to work
· If you do need to drive, try to leave the car a kilometer or two from your destination and walk the rest of the way
· Take a half-hour walk at lunchtime
· Where possible use the stairs rather than escalators or the lift
· If you sit at a desk, be sure to get up and walk around at least once every hour. Get up and talk to your colleagues instead of sending them emails
· Rather than holding meetings around a table, host a "walking meeting”
· Workplaces can also Host a Healthy Breakfast for employees who take part
Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day:
· Raises awareness about diabetes for Diabetes Australia
· Promotes regular walking as a healthy activity and reduces the incidence of type 2 diabetes (better physical, mental & social health)
· Reducing the reliance on the private motor vehicle (reduce car-dependency)
· Promoting and improving the use of public transport (less traffic)
· Improving air quality and environment by reducing unnecessary vehicle emissions
To support and participate in Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day, all work places are encouraged to raise awareness for Diabetes Australia. For more information, please visit walk.com.au.
For media information, images, interviews contact Caitlin Slater from littlelion PR on
0403 326 652 | 08 8121 7717 | firstname.lastname@example.org
ConnectWeb and AAP Directories, a division of Australian Associated Press are not responsible for the content of this Media Release